Sunday, March 8, 2009

I want to be a waiter

So I can’t sleep, I need to sleep because I have to wake up in 5.5 hours, but my body just does not seem to get that. As a result I am going to write a blog post instead of lying in bed wishing my roommates would stop singing in the living room (oh yes my roommates do sing, they are actually generally good at it, they just need to do it during the day).

So I think being a waiter would be a blast. Like the type that bring you drinks and food at a restaurant. It would be fun to manage a few tables and make sure everyone is happy. I think I would get very good at reading people for how much I should interact with them. I would love to keep straight all the meals. It would be exciting to deal with the problems that arise from messed up orders. Having a lot of things to coordinate just sounds so fun to me.

Now I am torn because while that sounds so fun to be it does not really fit in with what I want to do with my life. My plans consist of school and internships. I sort of feel like any time not spent doing those things is simply delaying the start of my career, and thus delaying a major increase in earning capacity. For example the only scenario in which I see a chance in me getting to be a waiter is if I were to get an internship where my parents live that only allows me to work 40 hours a week. I could see myself working during the day as an engineering intern and then waiting tables at night. Here's the problems with this plan. Instead of being a waiter I could take online classes and be that much closer to graduating (closer to that whole career thing I was talking about). Also working 60 hours a week would likely negate part of the purpose of getting an internship near home, which would be to spend time with my little brothers (not so little anymore) that I have not seen much in the last few years.

So it just does not seem like being a waiter will ever really fit into my plans. I am just too practical and focused. Maybe the economy will get even worse I won’t be able to get a job as an engineer, a waiter or even the other job that sounds really fun to me, being a salesman at bestbuy . I suppose I should simply be grateful for the opportunities I do receive.

Oh did I mention I think I would be a good waiter?

4 comments:

Whitney Bennett said...

You are so funny and I am so glad you posted again! Serving tables is great, it really is...but I don't think you would make much money right now with how the economy is. People aren't so generous tipping anymore :(

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

I've always wanted to be a waitress if you want me to be honest. I think you should go for it at least once before you get so close to that career thing :)

Classicphotos said...

I love you son! You are so RANDOM!!! That makes me happy! Your definetly Van Oostendorp!!!

Tiersha said...

Marcus you were born to be an engineer.